International Virtual Assistants Association (IVAA)
- All IVAA members agree to abide by this Code of Ethics as a condition of membership.
- Members shall always exercise integrity, honesty and diligence in carrying out their professional duties and responsibilities.
- Members shall safeguard the interests of their colleagues and clients, and shall not knowingly be a party to any illegal or unethical activity.
- Members shall enter into no agreement nor undertake any activity which may be in conflict or give the appearance of conflict with the legitimate interest of their client, or that would prejudice their capacity to perform their professional duties.
- Members shall protect any confidential information obtained in the performance of their duties, and shall not use such information for personal gain nor in a manner that would be detrimental to their client or any other party.
- Members shall continually ensure the currency of the knowledge, skills and technical competencies required to perform their professional activities.
- Members shall refrain from conduct or action which would detract from the reputation of the IVAA or the profession of Virtual Assistance as a whole.
- Members shall be mindful at all times of their responsibilities as professionals toward the community at large.
Virtual Assistant Chamber of Commerce
To My Clients, I Promise…
- I will accurately represent my skills, recognizing my limitations and only offering professional services that I feel competent to provide.
- I will accurately represent what my practice is capable of in all marketing, advertising and promotional materials.
- I will inform you of any conditions that I am aware of that could limit my effectiveness.
- I will place your best interest first and foremost, making reasonably certain that I have the necessary skills and resources to provide the support needed before entering into a collaborative partnership with you.
- I will clearly communicate the terms and conditions of our relationship, identifying the responsibilities of all parties, and documenting these provisions in a signed agreement.
- I will honor my contracts, agreements and commitments.
- I will only make commitments that are within my power and abilities to deliver.
- I will accept responsibility for the work I do, admit mistakes and do my part to rectify any problems that arise.
- I will maintain the highest level of professionalism, and refrain from misrepresenting any authority entrusted to me.
- I will safeguard and protect any private and confidential information you entrust to me.
- I will not release any of your information to any party whatsoever unless you give me explicit instruction or consent to do so.
- I will ensure that electronic and hardcopy record disposal is handled in a confidential and secure manner.
- I will do my utmost to protect your interests and reputation by conducting myself as a professional ambassador and representative of your business during the course of our work together.
To My Colleagues, I Promise…
- I will be honest and accurate about my credentials, and not exaggerate, embellish or fabricate my professional history or competencies.
- I will not intentionally partake in any activity, especially libel or slander, that could damage the professional reputation of a colleague.
- I will make every effort to exercise due diligence in naming my business to ensure I am not infringing upon the legal trade name and trademark rights of another colleague’s established, pre-existing business. If such infringement occurs, I will immediately take steps to remedy the situation upon notification.
- I will not engage in copyright infringement or theft of any colleague’s intellectual property.
- I will not engage in unfair trade practices.
- I will not solicit or unlawfully take clients from another colleague and will faithfully observe the legal and binding agreements I make in any subcontracting situation.
- I will not take credit for the work and ideas of others. I will be sure to always give credit to those I have learned from and who have generously shared their knowledge with me.
- I will be accepting of others’ opinions, values and beliefs and acknowledge they are as valid as my own.
- I will not use any confidential information gained through my professional association with colleagues for personal benefit of any sort.
To the Virtual Assistant Profession, I Promise…
- I will exercise and uphold the highest ideals of integrity, competence and professionalism in business.
- I will utilize my knowledge and abilities to strengthen public awareness and understanding of the profession.
- I will not engage in any activity or practice that would bring the profession into disrepute.
- I will not take on any work I deem to be illegal, immoral or unethical.
- I will diligently exercise truth, honesty and integrity in all areas relating to my business and professional responsibilities.
- I will not engage in nor condone any illegal or unethical practices in the industry.
- I will maintain professional competence, and continue to expand my professional knowledge and technical skills.
- I will maintain accurate and sufficient business records.
- I will know and respect existing laws pertaining to professional work and business, and always strive to keep abreast of such things as it is my duty as a responsible businessperson.
To Myself, I Promise…
- I will do everything in my power to honor my value and worth as a human being and skilled, competent professional.
- I will only do work that I enjoy so that I never “work” another day in my life.
- I will always do my best, as doing my best not only benefits clients and reflects well on the profession, it gives me confidence, satisfaction and self-worth.
- I will work only with my ideal clients. When I work with those who value and appreciate my services and skills, the positivity our relationship creates for one another also makes the world a better place.
- I will strive to do good as I do well.