5 Ways to Turn Satisfied Customers into Loyal Customers

Customer LoyaltyTalk to many business people about how they approach customer service and the majority of them will say that they are aiming to have ‘satisfied’ customers. No! What we all should be seeking is to have loyal customers who are raving fans.

Research has shown that 65% of customers say they are satisfied. You may be happy with this but you shouldn’t be! Satisfied customers are in a state of nothing – they are neither dissatisfied nor happy; they are in between. They will tolerate you while you are of use to them but if a better deal comes along, they’re off.

On the other hand, loyal customers are your friends. They will be with you through thick and thin; they will be the first to try out you new product; they willing give you honest feedback; they will regularly refer business to you. This is what you want!

But how can you turn a satisfied customer into a loyal one?

1. Let Them Decide How to Do Business with You

Today customers are a lot more sophisticated in how they want to do business. If your product or service lends itself to be offered via a number of different means, then give your customer the option.

Can you deliver face-to-face? What about telephone services? Could you make use of SMS texts for quick notes and reminders? Do you have a web site through which customers can contact you or even make orders on-line? If you provide a variety of delivery channels which are available to suit the customer’s needs then they are more likely to stay with you.

2. Build a Relationship

Loyalty can only be achieved if you have a true relationship with your customer. Aim to build rapport. Understand who are dealing with you and understand what they are looking for. Keep in regular contact with them; you don’t necessarily have to be selling something. Always use their names, especially their first name if you can.

All of this will help in building a long term relationship. Once you have this, they are less likely to walk away.

3. Take an Interest

Show your customers that you are interested in their views. Run regular surveys to find out what they think of your service, to find out what you can do differently. You can either carry out a survey over the telephone, or go as far as doing a mailing to all your customers.

Taking the trouble to contact your customers will reinforce the message that you want their business and care about solving their problems. But don’t forget – take action on what you find out!

4. Be a “Can Do” Business

Customers like nothing better than a business which delivers on even the most difficult of requests. “Can Do” businesses will always have loyal customers. Never use words like, “Sorry but …,” “It’s not my fault,” “Its company policy.” Be a business where solutions are always looked for and problems seen as challenges.

Say “yes” as often as possible.

5. Look After the “Golden” Customers

The old 80/20 rule is likely to apply to your business – 80% of your sales or profits are likely to come from just 20% of your customers. Work out who your top 20% are and love them to death! Then concentrate on turning the remaining 80% into loyal customers! Well, the 20% have already shown that they trust and respect you. A little more effort with these customers will reap more business than concentrating on the “maybe’s.” By all means, run a program to convert the “maybe’s” but don’t forget to put effort into the converted.

 

So, there you have it. Some ideas and tips on how to build and keep loyal customers. Take a critical look at your business and put a loyalty building program in place, which will boost sales and profits.

Your turn: What are some other ways to create loyalty among your customers?

Deidra Miller
Administrative and Marketing Consultant

Please share:
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to 5 Ways to Turn Satisfied Customers into Loyal Customers

  1. Marge says:

    It’s a real pleasure to find someone who can think like that!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *